Services with focus on functions, processes and methodologies
- Monitoring & evaluation
- Sector, thematic and methodological guidelines for policy, programme and project management
- Capacity and organisational development, training
- Technical Assistance / Programme Implementation & Management
- Framework Contract Management
Thematic and sector coverage of our services
- Public sector reform
- Political & Administrative Governance
- Organisational and Capacity Development of Public Institutions
- Local Government & Decentralisation
- Sector-wide approaches and budgetary support
- Public Expenditure Management
- Support to National Authorising Officer
- Support to Programme Management Units
- Support to Central Contract and Finance Units
- Fund Management
Social and Human Development
- Support to Civil Society Organisations (Non-State-Actors)
- Human Rights and Democracy
- Governance & Justice
- Social Sector Policy
- Gender and Minorities
- Food Aid and Food Security
- Water and Sanitation
- Rehabilitation & post-conflict development
- Support to Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
- Local Economic Development
- Capacity Development of Private Sector Support Institutions
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Financial Services (Micro, Rural, SME Finance)
- Regional Integration
Regional, Rural and Local Development
- Poverty reduction and livelihood programmes
- Regional and local development planning
- Community development, empowerment and local self-organisation
- Agricultural production systems
Environment and Natural Resources
- Climate Change
- Sustainable management of land & forest resources
- Land/soil degradation & desertification
- Environmental regulations, legislation and enforcement
- Environmental communication and awareness building
- Environmental impact assessments and monitoring
Monitoring & evaluation
Evaluation is our core activity. We dispose of broad experience in designing and conducting evaluations and studies across all levels, ranging from country-strategies, policies, programmes, projects to organisations.
Sectoral and thematic evaluations
Since 2001 our firm is the lead company for the management of service contracts for evaluation (sectoral and thematic) of European Commission programmes and policies in third countries, relating to social and human development issues. In this frame, and among others, Particip has been or is implementing the following evaluations:
- Thematic Evaluation of the EC support in Third Countries in:
- Trade Related Assistance
- Integrated Boarder Management
- Civil Society
- Good Governance
- Water and Sanitation Sector
- Population and Development Oriented Programmes
- Integration of Gender in EC Co-operation
- Evaluation of EIDHR support to the Regional Masters in Human Rights and Democratisation
- Ad hoc Evaluation of the Financial Assistance Programme for Turkish Cypriot community
- Evaluation of voter education in the context of EU electoral support;
- Synthesis report on EC activities in the field of human rights, democracy and good governance;
- Evaluation of EU mobility grant awarding programmes;
- Evaluation of Food-Aid Policy and Food-Aid-Management and Special Operations in Support of Food Security in ACP/ALA/MED/TACIS countries;
- Thematic Evaluation of Rehabilitation and Reconstruction oriented activities in EC external co-operation with countries in ACP/ALA/MED/TACIS region.
These evaluations have been implemented in a number of subsequent framework contracts:
- Multi-country evaluation studies on macro- and micro-economic sectors/ themes (Particip as consortium partner)
- Multi-country evaluation studies on social and human development issues of EC external cooperation (Particip as consortium leader)
- Evaluation of EC main policies and strategies in the areas of external cooperation (Particip as consortium leader)
Further information on: European Commission - EuropeAid - Evaluation
Evaluation of Country Programmes
From 2004 to 2007 Particip managed the Service Contract to evaluate European Commission co-operation strategies, programmes and policies for selected third countries (country-region strategies evaluations). Out of a total of 14 evaluations, five were conducted by Particip in India, Mauritius/Comoros/Seychelles, China and Moldavia and Mozambique. From 2007-2012 Particip was a consortium member of the contract Evaluation of geographic cooperation strategies, ALA, MEDA, CIS (NON ACP), and implemented evaluations covering ASEAN, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
Further information on: European Commission - EuropeAid - Evaluation - Methodology
From 2007 to 2008 an evaluation of the Country Programme Ghana-Denmark was implemented for Danida. In 2011 Particip was selected for all four Evaluation Framework Contract Lots for DG DEVCO of the EC:
- Lot 1: Multi-country evaluation studies of economic sectors/themes of EC external cooperation (2011-2014 with Particip as partner)
- Lot 2: Multi-country evaluation studies on social/human development issues of EC external co-operation (2011-2014 with Particip as lead)
- Lot 3: Evaluation of EC geographic co-operation strategies with ACP countries/regions (2011-2014 with Particip as lead)
- Lot 4: Evaluations of EC geographic cooperation strategies for Asia, Latin America, and the Neighbouring countries (2011-2014 with Particip as partner)
In the field of M&E, since March 2003 Particip is conducting a Service Contract for the co-ordination of the results-oriented monitoring system of projects and programmes of external assistance financed by the European Commission. It consists of the provision of support for the co-ordination, synthesis of results, improvement and development of the methodology, quality assurance and maintenance of the common database for the system of results-oriented monitoring within the framework of co-operation between the European Union and its partner States. From 2006 to 2009, in its second phase, our team focused more on the development of tools for monitoring sector programmes and budgetary aid.
Results-oriented monitoring system of the implementation of projects of external cooperation for lot 6 for Western Balkans and Turkey
The purpose of the Results-Oriented Monitoring (ROM) system of the EC is to provide external, objective and impartial feedback on the performance of external assistance projects and programmes financed by the EC. ROM is applied worldwide by DG DEVCO for the EC's development portfolio and by DG ENLARGEMENT for the Commission's pre-accession assistance to (pre-) candidate countries in the Western Balkans and Turkey. The Particip-led consortium has been selected to run the ROM system in the Western Balkans and Turkey region (lot 6) from 2011 - 2012 with possible extension to 2014.
The system is based on the monitoring of projects by external consultants who conduct regular on-site visits to projects and programmes in all countries, assess key project documents and interview relevant stakeholders, including the beneficiaries. Based on empirical data, the monitors produce and deliver objective, impartial and concise ROM outputs (Monitoring reports, Background conclusion sheets and Project Synopses) and give ratings and comments following standard criteria: efficiency, effectiveness, relevance, impact and sustainability. The use of external experts ensures impartiality and independence, and has the advantage of providing a 'second opinion' from an informed outsider on the quality and progress of programme/project implementation. Monitoring reports follow a standard format allowing easy aggregation of data at programme level during the implementation of individual projects. Opinions of Task Managers are also recorded in Response Sheets encoded directly in the CRIS database.
Every year, the Particip-led consortium monitors approximately 230 projects in 8 different countries.
Euromed Audiovisual III programme - regional monitoring and support unit (RMSU)
Particip is acting as partner in this project (2011-2014) which supports and monitors demand-driven projects selected through a call for proposals aiming to encourage cooperation of the audiovisual sector in the ENPI South region.
Assistance and technical support concerning the LIFE Programme
Since 2001 Particip has been providing assistance and technical support to the LIFE Programme. LIFE is the main European Commission funding mechanism for improving the state of the environment in the European Union and Mediterranean Countries. It contributes to the implementation, development and enhancement of the Community environmental policy and legislation as well as the integration of the environment into other EU policies.
- Environment: nature and biodiversity, resource efficiency and governance and information.
- Climate Action: mitigation, adaptation and governance and information.
Particip is responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of projects financed under all thematic components. The assignment comprises the following tasks:
- Assisting the Commission services with the evaluation and revision of new project proposals;
- Monitoring and assessment of ongoing projects, identification of administrative, technical and financial problems and provision of recommendations for their successful overcoming;
- Providing support to the LIFE-beneficiaries and advising them on reporting procedures, standards, presentation of project results and dissemination actions;
- Implementing ex-post evaluations;
- Assisting the Commission services with the presentation of + projects and the dissemination of results.
Particip provides one of the two Managing Directors and the Administrative Team of the NEEMO EEIG and is in charge of monitoring the LIFE projects in Austria and Germany.
Evaluation from a conceptual point of view
At a conceptual level regarding evaluation, from 2002-2006 Particip has been implementing a service contract for the design, the implementation and the dissemination of evaluation techniques and tools adapted to the European Commission`s development aid and co-operation policies relating to third countries, covering:
- The development of a consistent series of guidelines for evaluators and evaluation managers applying to evaluation of aid strategies at the level of countries and regions, sectoral or thematic evaluations, evaluation of aid projects (European Commission - EuropeAid - Evaluation - Methodology - Guidelines or under European Commission - EuropeAid - Evaluation - Methodology )
- The development of support material for evaluators and evaluation managers for sector/thematic evaluations comprising among others the development of evaluation questions, criteria and indicators for the following sectors/issues: Education, Human Rights, Democratisation and Rule of Law, Water and sanitation, Rural development, Transport, Health. Each sector comprised the following documents:
- Major evaluation questions, judgement criteria and indicators in the sector
- Delineation of the sector
- Summary of EC sector policy for third countries
- Summary of other donors` policies in the sector
- Impact diagrams and description of the causal means-end relationships
- Sectoral glossaries and examples of good practices of use of tools in evaluations
Capacity building & training
Developing methodologies and guidelines for improving policy and project performance
Particip disposes of a broad experience in training and capacity building by the management of contracts aiming to develop methodologies and guidelines for improving policy and project quality:
- Particip is acting as consortium partner in the project Methodological support and training for project and programme management in EC cooperation (2011-2013), developing methodological support (including guidance and various analytical/planning tools), seminars, training and other capacity-building activities.
- From 1999 to 2002, Particip coordinated the training and help-desk-services for developing and strengthening Project Cycle Management (PCM) methodology in the development co-operation of the European Commission. The main target for applying the PCM-methodology was to ensure a high quality standard during the project cycle from programming to identification through implementation to monitoring and evaluation. More than 170 PCM training courses (1-5 days each) were conceived, implemented and assessed (incl. evaluation courses) and helpdesk advice was provided to EC senior staff on PCM: QA of logframes and all kinds of documents (policy, programming, project level). A new PCM-Manual & PCM-Handbook were drafted, as well as logframe analysis & scoring tools.
- Between 1999 and 2002, Particip co-ordinated the Program of Reinforcement of Decentralized Cooperation (PRECOD). In this context we provided services such as the development of tools for the implementation of the approach and training modules on decentralised cooperation.
Besides these important perennial contracts Particip has implemented and is implementing an important number of short and long term training courses in Project Cycle Management and related thematic fields. Many specific trainings were delivered through the Framework Contracts EuropeAid/123314/C/SER/multi Commission Lot 6: Training and EuropeAid/129783/C/SER/Multi Lot 2: Communication and Training.
Technical Assistance / Programme Implementation & Management Reinforcement of administrative and management structures of partner organisations Another major activity of Particip in the field of capacity building is the reinforcement of National Authorising Officers (NAO) in EC cooperation countries, being the bodies in charge of the execution of all EC funded projects and programmes in terms of organisational structure, general management, infrastructure, staff capacities and strategic development. In this field, Particip has been providing long term technical assistance with both international and national consultants in Ghana (2003-2006), Papua New Guinea (2005-2009), Senegal (2006-2008), Swaziland (2007-2008), Mali (2008-2010), Sudan (2008-2011) and Jamaica (2008-2014).
Principles of our training programmes
For all our training programmes, the following principles help us to achieve a sustainable learning effect:
- Training is expected to change behaviour
- Training is a process, not an isolated event
- Training must be part of a strategy of human capital formation and human resource development
- Training demands conviction, concrete support and demonstrative collaboration of the leading personnel
- Training must inspire and motivate
- Training must be tailor-made to reflect professional background, age, educational level, position, and desires and needs of participants
- Training must integrate efficiency and personal satisfaction, formal planning and creativity, result/action orientation and human relationships
Technical assistance & programme implementation
Reinforcement of administrative and management structures of partner organisations
Another major activity of Particip in the field of capacity building is the reinforcement of National Authorising Officers (NAO) in EC cooperation countries, being the bodies in charge of the execution of all EC funded projects and programmes in terms of organ- isational structure, general management, infrastructure, staff capacities and strategic development. In this field, Particip has been providing long term technical assistance with both international and national con- sultants in Ghana (2003-2006), Papua New Guinea (2005-2009), Senegal (2006-2008), Swaziland (2007-2008), Mali (2008-2010), Sudan (2008-2011) and Jamaica (2008- 2014).
Support to Civil Society Organisations (Non-State-Actors)
Particip has a long track record of experience in supporting Civil Society Organisations (Non-State-Actors).
Particip implemented the Technical Assistance Management Unit for the Component "Non-State Actors" for the Support Programme to the National Programme of Good Governance (PAPNBG) in Senegal (2007-2011) aiming at supporting the role of NSAs in society, in partnership with public authorities, and reinforcing professional capacities and internal partnerships of NSAs.
In 2008, we started to implement the project 'Provision of a Programme Support Unit for the "Non-State Actors Capacity Building Programme" in Botswana' (2008-2012). In 2012 the 3 year project "Technical assistance for the programme to support the strengthening of civil society in Haiti" started.
Technical assistance for the implementation of the Institutional Strengthening for Social and Economic Development programme
In 2009 and 2010 we provided 85 expert months support to the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis to implement the National Adaptation Strategy, thereby facilitating an effective and sustainable transition to a 'post-sugar' society. The Programme contributed to Government capacity to coordinate development partner support in the furtherance of national goals.
Technical Advisor to the Poverty Reduction Programme II
From 2009 to 2013 we manage a grant contract in Jamaica which mainly includes socio-economic projects, capacity building and training for communities, organisational strengthening of the Social Development Commission, Non-State Actor Capacity Building and Short Term Technical Assistance.
IPA - project preparation facilities and technical assistance for the reinforcement of administrative capacity
The overall objective of the project (2009-2012) is to enhance and reinforce the Serbian capacities in the context of the EU pre-accession process and the management of the IPA. The project supports the relevant Serbian authorities in preparing strategic and programming documents in accordance with the EU requirements and procedures.
Framework contract management
Particip is currently involved in seven EuropeAid framework contracts, either as the consortium-lead company or as partner. Our success rate is illustrated by more than 350 short-term assignments conducted to date.
Particip's FWCs at a glance:
EC Framework Contract Commission 2015
EC Framework Contract Beneficiaries 2013
- Lot 1: Rural development and food security
- Lot 6: Environment (Consortium-leader)
- Lot 7: Governance and Home Affairs (Consortium-leader)
- Lot 9: Culture, Education, Employment and Social
- Lot 10: Trade and private sector
- Lot 11: Macro economy, Statistics and Public finance management
- Lot 12: Humanitarian Aid, Crisis Management & Post-Crisis assistance (Consortium-leader)
The consortia in which we are involved - either as lead company or as partner - comprise recognised consulting firms with complementary fields of expertise and geographical focus.
Our staff are trained to manage the implementation of short-term assignments in a wide range of technical and methodological fields. This includes providing support to individual experts while responding to Requests for Services, and smooth and timely management and quality assurance of all contractual, technical and financial issues.